Pages

Nov 1, 2010

Homemade Egg Noodles




Yesterday I was cleaning out the fridge and there was the remains of a rotisserie chicken. I decided to boil it down and make some chicken stock to put up in the freezer for a later date; however, the hubby had other plans. When I was away from the kitchen he started adding spices to the pot. For those of you that know Brent, he loves to get his hands into ALL things kitchen, unless of course it involves hot soapy water, or soapy water of any kind. After adding the spices he would walk through the kitchen claiming how wonderful it smelled and that he sure would like some homemade chicken noodle soup. So, what does this wife do? Yep, you guessed it! I commenced to making soup. I started by adding some vegetables to the broth and then making egg noodles. I have a recipe that I've used forever, but I don't really deem it as healthy as it could be. So, instead of using white flour or even wheat flour, I used some sprouted wheat berries that I had in the freezer. I put those bad boys in the VitaMix, added some coconut oil, a few egg yolks, some sea salt and let it do its business. Within a couple of minutes I had a very runny dough, so I turned it out on a floured surface and worked in some organic unbleached flour. Just enough to get a really nice consistency. I then rolled rolled the dough to a 1/8" thickness and cut into strips. Because I was experimenting with my sprouted wheat berries, I was uncertain as to how they would turn out. You'll notice that just one noodle is missing, that's because I had to cook just one to make sure we had a winner before I tossed them all in the pot.  OH...what a winner it was!

Here's my recipe:


 2 cups flour (organic and sprouted is the best, IMO)
1-2 Tbl butter, lard, or coconut oil (saturated fats are far superior to vegetable oils)
3-4 egg yolks (from free range chickens of course)
1 tsp salt
2-4 TBL cream, half and half, milk, or water (or more if necessary)

There are two different methods to mix your dough:  #1: Cut the fat into the flour, making a well in the center of flour mixture and then adding the remaining ingredients  and mix by turning in the flour. 

#2 You can also place flour in a food processor, adding fat and eggs and then add enough liquid to form a ball. 

When you have a nice soft dough, roll out to approximately 1/8"-1/4" thick depending on how you prefer your noodles.   I use a pizza cutter to create my noodles, but if you don't have one you can roll the dough up and then use a knife and cut "rolls" that you unroll into strips.  The noodles can be cooked immediately, or allowed  to dry for a later use.

** This recipe freezes well

1 comment:

  1. I'm so excited to try this. My kids have put a moratorium on soup right now as I had been making it almost every night since it turned cold! But, within a week or so, I'll pull this out. Did I know you have a VitaMix? Don't you just love it???

    ReplyDelete